Syracuse Habitat for Humanity Welcomes its Newest Board Member — Melissa Perry.
Melissa Perry is the Director of Sustainability for the Destiny USA development in Syracuse, NY. In this position, Melissa insures that all aspects of the project remain vigilant to the green principals laid out by Destiny USA’s Founder and Chairman Robert J. Congel. This includes construction and operation of the project without the use of fossil fuels. Melissa has made significant contributions to the Destiny USA green initiatives including co-authorship of an application to the EPA and Treasury for Federal Green Bonds, resulting in a $1.036 billion allocation and the successful launch and implementation of Destiny USA’s Biodiesel-B100 program for all construction equipment.
Some of her many, MANY accomplishments include:
- Negotiation with the EPA a 13 program Memorandum of Understanding that committed Destiny USA to work in partnership to become a model of environmental stewardship by implementing conservation and emission reduction programs throughout construction, operations and management of the Destiny USA project.
- Leadership of ongoing LEEDÒ initiatives for the Destiny USA project which includes ensuring their projects meet exemplary performance in energy and water conservation, sustainability, indoor air quality and efficient use of materials and resources.
- 2007 election as an officer into the New York Upstate Chapter of the U.S. Green Building Council where she served for 2 years.
- Membership in the Onondaga County Community College Sustainability Task Force, whose primary goal is to create a sustainable campus and develop talent for emerging jobs in the energy and environmental systems industry.
- Membership in the Creative Core Green Team formed to promote and market the region’s assets to retain and attract business and talent to our region.
- Participation with the Syracuse Green Meetings City task force which is focused on marketing the city as a place for environmentally conscious companies to hold meetings, conferences and conventions.
Melissa earned a Bachelor’s degree in Journalism and Mass Communication from the University of South Carolina and is a perpetual student of sustainability. Prior to joining the Destiny USA team, Melissa worked as the National Sales and Marketing Director for the Foodservice Division of Oneida Ltd, a manufacturer of fine tableware, located in Oneida, NY.